Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Affordable DIY Canvas Art

I have been really itching to change some things up in our living room.  I feel like it's missing color, and while I love calm neutral creams, whites, and browns, I think I need to add some pops of color in the mix.  So my plan is to add some color with this DIY art project, and hopefully in the future, some colorful throw pillows for the couches.


So here is what my family room looks like "before".


Weston and I bought this painting when we were first married, and I still like it.  I'm just not sure if it's my style.

So anyway, Michaels had their canvases 60% off last week!  So I snatched up a 36"x48" canvas for my project for 16 bucks.  I spray painted the entire canvas a teal color.  I highly recommend using spray paint.  It's so quick and easy, and you don't have any brush strokes.


My inspiration for this piece came from Pinterest.  I know, shocker.  Well anyway, Emily from Jones Design Company painted a lattice pattern across all of her walls in her office.  She must have the patience of Job.  It turned out beautiful though, and I thought I could use her pattern for my canvas!


My stencil cut out on heavy duty cardboard.


I used a fine paint brush to outline my pattern.  If I had been using a darker color for the pattern, I would have used pencil to outline.  After you outline your pattern, use a 1/4" paintbrush and paint along the inside of the lines.  It takes a steady hand and a lot of patience.



Here is the finished product.  It's a little bolder than I'm used to in my house, but I really like it.  What do you think?



3 comments:

  1. That is bold! Rather impressive, too! Thanks for sharing. We loved the little peek into your world. Look forward to seeing more posts in the future. J&L

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful!!! How did you make the stencil, though?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amanda! I printed the pattern from here: http://jonesdesigncompany.com/decorate/painted-wallpaper-a-tutorial

    ReplyDelete