Thursday, March 21, 2013

Crib Skirt DIY

I recently took a trip back to Franklin for my brother and sister-in-law's gender reveal, and I can't wait to share on the blog what they'll be having.  I'm still waiting until social media alerts are made by the parents.  But while I was there, I always try to take advantage of my Mom's sewing talents and have her help me with some aspect of the nursery.  We've sewn curtains and now a crib skirt, and my mom quilted her blanket that you can see on her crib.  I love the quilt, and the inside is a super soft material that Hannah will love.


I love how it all turned out.  I chose the fabric and researched tutorials on how to make straight panels for a crib before I came home.  We decided to sew square fabric panels and attach them to the crib using velcro strips.  As I lower the crib, we can adjust the panels so that the fabric isn't dragging on the ground.  We ended up making all four panels because we had enough fabric for it.  We were originally just going to do the three that showed, but now if we change the layout or move, we're covered on all sides.  No pun intended. :)


Mom sewed the bottom hem and the side seams to each panel, and we left to the edge raw that won't be seen under the mattress.  The fabric I chose unravels really easily so Mom suggested I seal the raw edge with some heat and bond tape when I got home.  I also decided to add a lace detail to the bottom of the panels.  I also used heat and bond tape to attach the lace.  I just used a lightweight tape that came in narrow strips.  The heat and bond is activated with a warm iron, and it is even machine washable.


I attached the velcro strips around the frame every foot or so to hang each panel.  I made sure to put the hook side of the velcro on the crib frame, so when I need to wash the panels the hooks won't snag the fabric and lace.


Here it is with all four panels attached.


And one last detail shot.  Thanks Mom for all your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment