Monday, April 28, 2014

So this is happening...

And actually that sign is a bit deceiving, it should say "Under Contract".  A little over a week ago, we got an offer on the house!  After being on the market for 6 weeks, I was starting to get a little nervous (Would it ever sell?!) and exhausted with cleaning the house then leaving with the baby for every showing.  We would get so many showings with the exact same feedback:  "Shows like a dream/cute house.  Buyers can't get past busy road and traffic noise."  It was completely out of our control.  There was nothing we could do to fix the location other than plant some very mature trees which I considered.  In the end, our realtor told us to be patient, and she was right!  

We have a quick close date three weeks from now!   We went to Franklin to house hunt this past weekend.  Weston and I decided after looking at the rental market that buying may be the best financial decision for us.  Pending inspection and everyone signing on the dotted line, we have a house!  Once I know everything is official, I will share our future home!  The close date on the "new to us" house is June 9.  In the meantime, we are moving all of our belongings into storage right by our house, and we're living in a furnished temporary apartment until the end of June here in Birmingham while Weston finishes residency.

As we spend our last months here in Birmingham, it is bittersweet.  In some ways, we are really ready to leave and start this new chapter, but in other ways, we'll miss the city and our friends.  For a little fun, here's our top five lists for what we'll miss the most and what we'll miss the least.

Top 5 Reasons We'll Miss Birmingham

5) The weather is amazing!  I know some folks would complain about the humidity.  But I love the heat and the sunshine!  My little girl can go out in a sleeveless bubble outfit in April.  You just can't beat that.

4) The food is more amazing than the weather!  Renowned chef, Frank Stitt, and the chefs who have trained under him have started a burgeoning culinary scene in Birmingham is top notch and nationally recognized.

3) Spring!  Clearly I don't suffer from allergies.  I know this could technically go along with the weather, but I tell you spring in Birmingham is beautiful!  Weston and I say there is nothing prettier than East Tennessee in the fall, but Birmingham in the spring gives it a run for its money.  The azaleas flourish pops of bright pink, red, and white all over the city.  Here are our azaleas in the front of our house which is nothing compared to the giant azaleas around town.  It's just beautiful!


2) Our dearest friends that we've made while living here will be one of the hardest to say goodbye.  Some of them will be moving on themselves heading on to new jobs and fellowships, but some will be staying here.  We'll miss them all!


We can clean up nice like we did for Elyse's baby shower last month in the picture above, but we're not afraid to put on our best redneck attire to go float the Cahaba river too for Blake's birthday.  That day is quite possibly my favorite day spent with these friends.  I mean look at the facial hair on some of these doctors.  And to make the day even better, Sarah was in the hospital that day giving birth to our adorable Liam.


1) And of course the number one reason we'll miss Birmingham is our first home and the memories of the birth of Hannah.  It all happened here.  The moment we became a family of three and parents for the first time by bringing Hannah home.  It's also where we experienced the pride and hard work in becoming home owners.  I think I will be sad while still living in Birmingham in temporary housing and drive by our home with someone else living there.  It will always be special to me.




And now we'll juxtapose that sweet and wonderful list with the reasons we are ready to move!

Top 5 Reasons the Hobgoods need to get the heck out of here

5)  We are all ready to be done with residency and the hours Weston works.  It has been a very positive experience at UAB, but we are excited to have Weston take a little less call.

4)  No family!  Enough said.

3) The crime is something we won't be missing in the least.  While many of the very dangerous areas are concentrated farther away from our home, we still don't have the sense of safety that we want for our family.  A couple of our neighbors have had their homes broken into over the years.  One neighbor has had both cars stolen months apart from each other!  And I will never forget driving to our house immediately after closing to find graffiti on our brand new privacy fence.  Talk about worrying about making the right decision on our house within an hour of owning it.  Regardless of these experiences, it has been a good house in a great neighborhood with wonderful neighbors.  And I feel safe with our security system at night while Weston is on call which is most important.

2) This may sound silly to some as a reason, and I am aware that this issue is more of an issue with me than it is with Birmingham.  But we are so tired of being surrounded by Alabama fans.  I just need more orange and less crimson in my life.

1)  What is more abundant in Birmingham than Alabama fans you ask??  Roaches.  Locals call them palmetto bugs, but don't be fooled.  They are giant, fast, disgusting roaches that come out during the warm season.  But in addition to the palmetto bugs, there are ants here like nowhere I have ever lived.  The anthills are massive, and I will drive down the road and see ant hill mounds two feet high.  I kid you not. 

I can't wait to share on the blog our new house!  It is a little bit of a fixer with really good bones which was exactly what I wanted to customize it to how I like over the years.  I hope I can share the changes on the blog too!  That's all for now!

2 comments:

  1. "Weston and I decided after looking at the rental market that buying may be the best financial decision for us." - Great decision, Mary! I bet it was a tough one, but you've made the right choice. It might be easier to get a new rental, but it's wiser to invest on a house you can definitely call your own. I'll be looking forward to seeing the house tour! :)

    Kristen Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your realtor was right with staying put after six weeks. The reviews about your home looks so overwhelmingly positive. It's just that the things outside your control were the ones that were having bad reviews. A buyer would've overlooked that anyway, and your realtor was right. It's might be bittersweet to leave town, but it seems that you're enjoying life in your new home! Cheers!

    Brian Quarnstrom @ Golden Group Real Estate

    ReplyDelete