Saturday, June 2, 2012

Hello Chicago!

Hi folks!  Well it's been awhile since I've posted something to the blog, so I've got lots to share!  I recently got back to my midwest roots and headed to Chicago with Weston and our best friends, Jenny and Jakob.  This is our second couples trip we've taken with them as married couples, and we need to keep this tradition going to take a trip every few years until we're old and gray.  This vacation was sort of special because we were celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversaries.  It's a little early, but with a law student and resident's schedule, we had to celebrate a little early.  So we decided to go explore a city rather than do the beach this year, and somehow Chicago was chosen as our destination.  Not sure how we chose it, but I'm glad we did!  The boys waiting for our plane in Nashville.


We ended up staying at Hotel Felix which was the perfect location near Magnificent Mile.  Big city equals tiny living quarters, but it was very comfy.  Besides, we were hardly in our room.  I'm proud to say the tv was never turned on in our room the 4 days we were there.



First on the list for our trip was an architecture river cruise tour.  It was beyond amazing.  These buildings are incredible, and each one has a story and different style.  I'll just share a few pics, but it was my favorite thing we did the entire trip.  Waiting to board the boat.



The Wrigley Building was beautiful!


Trump Tower Chicago


The iconic Marina City condominium complex from the 60's.  The architect designed the building to look like corn cobs, a tribute to the midwest.


This building is called the Merchandise Mart, and it is huge.  So big in fact, that it has its own zip code.  Its own zip code, seriously?





After lunch, we headed over to the former Sears Tower to ride up to the 103rd floor to check out the view from the skydeck.  Jenny probably doesn't care if I tell this story to the public, but I guess she can start her own blog to share all her embarrassing stories about me, right Jenny?  :)  So, we get into the Sears Tower (we refuse to call it Willis Tower) and immediately get put in an elevator to get our tickets down in the basement.  We went down one floor.  One floor.  It took maybe 5 seconds.  As the doors open, Jenny says "Well that was a fast elevator."  I nonchalantly say "Yea. I guess."  Then I think, wait, does she think we're at the top?!?  Oh yes, in fact she did.  We went down one floor, and Jenny thought we were up 103 floors.  And that folks is why you need to vacation with Jenny.  She will keep you laughing.  I love her!

I'd just like to say the girls were the brave ones on the skydeck.  Someone in our group didn't make it out there.  Hmmm, who is missing from these pictures??




You get some really awesome views 1,353 feet up. 


More to come on our trip tomorrow!  Have a great weekend!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey MB! what a great looking trip! Your super adorable blog motivated me to finally start one! I'll see you around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kaylen! Blogging is so much fun! I know you will have a lot of great crafting, cooking, and adventures to blog. I'm looking forward to following it! Hope all is well with you and David.

    ReplyDelete