Monday, June 3, 2013

A Little Meet and Greet

Introducing Miss Hannah Hart Hobgood to the world.


She came into this world at 1:23 AM on May 14, 2013 weighing 6lb 8oz and 18 inches long. 


My water broke as I got out of bed the morning before I had her.  It took me a second to even realize what was happening with her coming 2.5 weeks early.  Weston happened to be home.  He saved up his two vacation weeks for around Hannah's due date.  One vacation week is this week.  And he took one early just in case she decided to arrive early.  My water broke Monday at 8am on his first vacation week.  What a punctual little girl I have.  She must get it from her father.  So we scrambled to get the last items packed in our hospital bag and hopped in the shower before we headed to the hospital.


My labor could be summed up as slow and steady.  I reacted very easily to low doses of the pitocin to get my contractions going.  Hannah's heart rate dropped a couple times during the whole process despite being on the lowest dosage of pitocin.  A c-section was mentioned if she couldn't tolerate the labor, but they added more fluid to her amniotic fluid which made her much more comfortable and cooperative to deliver vaginally.  I had to be on oxygen the entire day which made me thankful I packed my chapstick.



The delivery went so smooth, and after 45 minutes of pushing, she arrived.  She was absolutely beautiful the moment we laid eyes on her.  She has her daddy's heart and mine.


There was no sleep on the night she was born.  I got wheeled up to the postpartum room around 3am.  And Hannah had visitors that waited all evening and night long to meet her.  My parents are above getting their late night (or should I say early morning?) cuddles.


 We also had Weston's parents and brother who patiently waited for her arrival as well.


We are in the steadfast process of pumping and nursing around the clock to get her weight up.  She lost more than 10% of her birthweight at the hospital which left her only at 5lb and 14oz when we took her home.  She's had two pediatrician check ups to monitor the weight gain.  This morning at one day shy of 3 weeks, she's only 6lbs which was really discouraging considering how well I thought we were nursing and producing dirty diapers.


We'll go back later this week for another weigh in to see if the new feeding schedule and introduction of pumped breastmilk in bottles will kick start the growth we need.  Let's hope so!  Despite her full closet, only a few pieces of clothing actually fit her and not swallow her whole.  My stockpile of diapers don't fit her.  Mothers told me not to stockpile on newborn diapers as they are barely in them before they outgrow to the bigger size.  Well the newborns are still huge on her.  She wore preemie size diapers in the hospital!


Well I must go feed our baby girl.  We're just so thankful and happy to share our miracle with everyone.  We're so blessed to have her, and I feel as though I need to pinch myself to make sure this is all real.  What a wonderful life.

5 comments:

  1. I'm an old blogger but happen to know your in-laws! congrats on the beautiful bundle!! The pictures are BEUATIFUL! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah Hart Hobgood is so precious...such a sweet gift of God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so beautiful! Congratulations to you and Weston!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Mary Beth! Hannah is so very precious :) I wanted to give you a little encouragement about having a tiny baby. I've been there and done that. Micah was very little and gained weight painfully slowly throughout her first year. She wasn't even ON the growth chart for several months, and you know what? She turned out just fine. Praying for you as you get used to mommyhood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sonya and Katye!! Leslie Ann, thanks for sharing and prayers for me starting motherhood! It's so encouraging to hear your experience.

    ReplyDelete