Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Cover Girl

My latest home design "go to" is putting a cover on it.  Lamp shades?  Cover.  Back of bookcase? Cover.  Bottom of dresser drawers? Cover.  It is such a fun way to make something your own.  Now I shared how I lined Hannah's drawers with wrapping paper back here.  But I haven't shared with you my lamp shades and bookcase projects.

Our guest bedroom redo really deserves it's own post once it's finished.  So I'll just share the lamp for now.  I ordered fabric to cover a plain white drum shade with fabric.  The lamp base is from Target, and the filler I got at Pier 1 imports.




Covering this lamp shade turned a bit tricky because it wasn't a true drum shade.  The top diameter of the shade was slightly smaller than the bottom.  And with the fabric I chose, I needed the pattern at the bottom to stay consistent.  So I had to sinch up the fabric at the top of the shade just slightly.



I used a thin line of hot glue along the top and bottom of the shade.  Then trimmed excess fabric over the shade, but I left a centimeter over to wrap around the inside of shade to give it a finished look.


My other shade I recently covered was in Hannah's nursery to have next to my glider.  The lamp was another Target find.  And it was much easier to cover because I used ribbon with little rosettes I found out Hobby Lobby.


 Because the ribbon was much lighter and more sheer than the heavy home decor fabric, I used fabric glue rather than the hot glue I used for the guest bedroom shade.


I think it's so sweet, and the lamp looks perfect with her shabby chic nursery.


My last cover job was an idea I got from a design book written by some of my favorite bloggers from Young House Love.  I wanted to dress up a simple white bookcase that I got from Target.  The idea is to cover the back of the bookcase with fabric, wallpaper, wrapping paper, or whatever you like.  I found wrapping paper that I thought would go, and I wrapped my cardboard cut to size of the back of the shelves.  It fit so snug in there that you don't even need to attach it to bookcase.  And if I decide to change it, it's inexpensive and easy to remove!


I haven't had the chance to decorate the top of the shelf or add to her book collection yet.  So it looks very unfinished at this point.  But I love the extra storage it will give her, and I love adding more patterns to the room.


No comments:

Post a Comment